International Clinical Trials
The following is a list of clinical research trials that we have been active participants.
The following is a list of research projects limited to our breast center.
- Creation of BRCA 1 / 2 + breast cancer cell lines as part of translational research with SUNY at Albany
- Institution experience with high-risk women undergoing nipple-sparing one step risk reducing mastectomy. This study reviews risks and successes with the procedure as well as focusing upon the personal experiences of our patients after the surgery.
- Early breast center experience with intraoperative radiation when combined with post-operative radiation.
- Reviewing Magnetic Resonance Imaging results in high risk women as relates to breast tissue density by mammography.
Publications and Presentations
- TARGIT-R (Retrospective): North American Experience with Intraoperative Radiation Using Low-Kilovoltage X-Rays for Breast Cancer. Valente, SA, Tendulkar, RD, Cherian S, Kelemen, PR … et al. Ann Surg Oncol 2016 May 9.
- A Multi-Institutional Analysis of Intraoperative Radiotherapy for Early Breast Cancer: Does Age Matter? AM Abbott, SA Laronga, ….P Kelemen, et al. 2015 Annual Meeting of The American Association for Breast Surgeons.
- North American Experience with Intrabeam Intra-operative Radiation for Breast Cancer: Initial Report of TARGIT-R (retrospective). Stephanie A. Valente, DO, Rahul D. Tendulkar, MD …Pond Kelemen, Ulrich Hermanto, et al. 2015 Annual Cancer Symposium for Society of Surgical Oncologists.
- Long Term Follow-up of Breast Cancer Patients Treated With Intraoperative Radiotherapy Using the Intrabeam Device. Kelemen PR, Ashikari AY, Ashikari RH, Hilaris B. 11th Annual Meeting of The American Society of Breast Surgeons 2010.
- Breast Cancer Stages in the Inner-city (Bronx, NY): Racial Disparities Are Observed. Wang JL, Norkus EP, Funicello A, Ahmad S, Mathew CT, Kelemen PR, Cayten CG, and Agarwal N. American College of Surgeons 95th Annual Clinical Congress October 2009 Chicago, IL.
- Intraoperative Radiotherapy of the Breast. PR Kelemen. Cleveland Clinic 2009 – Breast Cancer Summit
- Subcutaneous Mastectomy and Immediate Reconstruction for Prevention of Breast Cancer for High-Risk Patients. Ashikari RH, Ashikari AY, Kelemen PR, Salzberg CA. Breast Cancer 2008;15:185-191.
- Male Breast Cancer: A Single Group Experience. Thu Ma AM, Lawrence C, R Ashikari, A Ashikari, Kelemen PR. Presented at the Fourth Annual Louis R. M. Del Guercio Surgical Research Day , May 2006, New York Medical College , Valhalla , NY .
- Ashikari, A.Y., Ashikari, R.H., Hilaris, B.S., Bodner, W.B., Rao, P., Agarwal, N., Saraf, S. Mastoras, D. “Preliminary Results of a Clinical Trial Involving the Use of a Novel Intraoperative Radiotherapy Device in Early Breast Cancer Patients”. Annals of Surg. Oncol., Vol. 10, No. l, March 2003, pp. S50.
- Hilaris, B.S., Bodner, W.R., Ashikari, R., Ashikari, A., Saraf, S., Mastoras, D.A., Rao, P., Agarwal, N., Shi, Q. Visintainer, P. “Breast Conserving Surgery Plus Intraoperative Radiation Therapy in Primary Operable Breast Cancer: A Novel Therapeutic Approach”. Brachytherapy, Vol. 2, No. 1, 2003, pp.57.
- Smith, A. and Ashikari, A. “Skin, Soft Tissue, and Breast”. Appleton and Lange Review of Surgery, 5th Edition, 2007, pp. 47-77.
- Lee R.T., Fallarino F., Ashikari A., Gajewski T.F. “Melanoma Presenting as Circulating Tumor Cells Associated with Failed Angiogenesis”. Melanoma Research, Vol. 18, No. 4, August 2008, pp. 289-294.
- Ashikari R.H., Ashikari, A.Y., Kelemen P.R., Salzberg C.A. “Subcutaneous Mastectomy and Immediate Reconstruction for Prevention of Breast Cancer for High-Risk Patients”. Breast Cancer, Vol. 15, No 3, 2008, pp. 185-191.
- Salzberg A. C., Ashikari A.Y., Koch M. R., Chabner-Thompson E. “An 8-Year Experience of Direct-to Implant Immediate Breast Reconstruction Using Human Acellular Dermal Matrix (Alloderm)”. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Vol. 127, No 2, 2011, pp.514-524.
This information does not replace expert evaluation and advice from a trained breast care professional. If you have noted any breast problems please seek care from a breast surgeon as soon as possible.